Tuesday 3 March 2009

Milford, Christchurch, and New Zealand in General

so i went to Milford Sound on Monday, which was as impressive as you said it was kate/irmeet. even just on the drive in some of the scenery was awe-inspiring but Milford was even more so.
we were quite lucky because they had had a lot of rain pretty much right up till we got there, but as we got over the hills and near to Milford it started clearing up so we ended up being able to see a lot of the waterfalls around Milford but with relatively clear weather too. it is an absolutely fantastic place. the only slight disappointment of the day was that part of the trip was an underwater observatory, supposedly to show the various life within the area, but which in fact was very dull indeed. was that there when you went Kate? i dont remember you mentioing it.


























Today has been mostly a very long drive from Queenstown to Christchurch. the only interesting stop along the way was at lake Tekapo to get a view of Mount Cook. I'm not sure how good these photos will come out but it was very impressive. the lake was an extraordinary colour, apparantly caused by all the melt from the nearby glaciers.






















i got into Christchurch about 6 o clock and was able to have a bit of a walk around. Like with Wellington earlier I was a bit disappointed i didn't have more time to spend here, however after looking around I'm not entirely sure what else i would have done if i had even just one extra day. it seems like a nice enough place there just doesn't seem to be that much to do.



I'm not sure if its come across with me stressing about various things that have gone on and moaning about some of the weather, but i really have loved New Zealand. visually and scenicly it really is a magnificent place and the people have all been really nice.I know it's part of their job but the bus driver/tour guides, as well as all the other people I've spoken too, seem to have a love and passion for the country and it's landscape and it'ds Maori history that does seem genuine and does get to you.
Maybe it's just the British person in me but it is strange to be in a place where everyone who lives and works here seems to absolutely love the place, and i've met quite a few British and American and European people who live and work here who appear to feel the same. As I said in an earlier post I am disappointed that it has been a bit rushed while i've been here and I hope that i will be able to come back and see more one day.

Highlights: Milford Sound and the Bunjee Jump
Lowlights: LJ losing my credit card and breaking my camera in the space of 2 days

I'll try to ley you know if I've landed safe in Melbourne tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't realised that it was LJ that had mucked up your camera and lost your credit card? There was me thinking that it was you being a numpty.

    Milford Sound does look lovely. I think of all the places in the world New Zealand is the country I want to visit. It looks stunning.

    Have fun in Australia and speak to you soon.

    Love

    Mum xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. well you know what he's like, he's irresponsible.

    Katie, sorry i forgot to ask, how was The Killers?

    ReplyDelete