Thursday 9 April 2009

Leaving Oz

I've been in Cairns for the last few days but theres very little to tell about it really. not an unpleasant place, just a fairly boring one if you dont go on any of the expensive activities. I spent a day wandering round the shops and a day sat around the artificial lagoon (the city doesn't have a beach).
the only activity i did was a day trip to a place called Kuranda, a little village in the rainforest. took a scenic railway which was very beautiful, in fact i spent so long taking pictures of the hills and valleys i managed to completely miss the waterfall on the other side of the train, which is one of the main atractions of the journey. I spent a few hours wandering round the village, took a boat trip on the river, and then took a cable car journey up and over the rainforest to come back. again seeing some spectacular views along the way. no photos I'm afraid as I'm in Sydney Airport on a free internet terminal and there's no USB connection.
Yesterday was mostly spent organising myself and getting ready to leave Australia, doing laundry and sorting some things to leave behind, as my pack seemed to be getting rather bulky. by the way Katie I owe you a new sleeping bag. it was covered in rips so i decided to chuck it. i think it must have got Dingoed on Fraser Island, as i'm sure it couldn't be anything to do with my piss poor attempts to roll it up and pack it away.

I cant believe I've come to the end of the Australia leg already. It's been fantastic all the way up the coast, whether I was on my own or with other people, and not even my own stupidity with the goat could spoil it. It's been so fantastic being able to spend time in places, and if anything this fact has increased my disapointment with how rushed New Zealand was, as I think I would have loved it there just as much if I'd been able to relax and enjoy each place more. If I was to return again to anywhere I've been so far it would be Australia. What i've seen I've loved and there is so much more still to see.

so onto today, the day from hell, or at least thats what i thought it would be, but everythings been alright so far. I got up at 2:30AM to get my taxi to the airport, got on my 5:45AM flight to Sydney, got in here at about half past 8, and I'm now sat waiting for my 4:30PM flight to Bangkok. the only plus point is that I've not got to carry my full big pack all day, thats being sorted elsewhere, although I'm getting the occasional paranoid flash that i'm never going to see it again.
I'm desperately trying to split the day up, half an hour reading my book, half an hour online, half an hour filling out my diary, etc, etc, but I'm bored already and its not even 11 o clock yet. I might go and get drunk, at least then the time might go a bit quicker. I'm slightly worried as my ankle was bothering my on a three hour flight in an emergency exit seat with good leg room, god knows what i'm going to be like after a days sat around an airport doing nothing and another 9 hours on a plane.

So I will soon be in Asia. Everything has gone a bit too smoothly so far in the Western Countries, so lets see what the last two weeks throw up. I will try to avoid being mistaken for some kind of political dissident, although as long as i avoid wearing a red t-shirt i should be ok. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7990181.stm.

I dont know what to say about coming home really. I am looking forward to seeing everybody, and living out of a rucksack is becoming increasingly depressing - I'm hoping to buy some new clothes in Asia as I'm thoroughly sick of what i've got. However as soon as i get home I know I'll feel completely differently. Oh well if thats the case then it just means that I'll have to leave again and go somewhere else. If only selfish people didn't go around arranging weddings at the drop of a hat, getting in the way of my fun

I've no idea whether my mobile will work or how often I'll get to be online in SE Asia so I dont know when I'll be in touch again

2 comments:

  1. You will have to start saving again as soon as you get home, because you are going to be incredibly bored here now you have experienced everything.

    Hope you can keep in touch while you are in Asia. That should be a totally different experience, I would imagine that Cambodia and Vietnam are not so geared up for tourists and you should see some of the real country. Hope you enjoy it. Lots of photos please for when you get back. How's your memory cards holding up?

    Love Mum
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont worry about the sleeping bag
    you can fly back out on the 2nd June if you like.

    By the way I have accepted a training job in psychiatry. Really looking forward to you coming home, have a wonderful time in thailand etc, something completely different! xx

    ReplyDelete