Thursday 19 March 2009

Sydney to Brisbane

I left sydney on Saturday morning on what turned out to be a bit of a nightmare journey because the air conditioning on the bus was broken. the only highlight of the long days drive was that we stopped for lunch at a Koala hospital, which was very cute.













We stayed at a place called Surf Camp for the night, where we would be having our free surf lesson in the morning. surfing really isn't for me. the currents are very strong out here and I am far too clumsy and uncoordinated to have any chance of getting up on a board.

Spent the next few days in a place called Byron Bay, which was absolutely lovely. the hostel i stayed at had free bike hire so on the second day there i took one out, and those people who say youi never forget how to ride a bike are lying, because it was really hard at first, but once i got the hang of it again I had a really nice morning, riding through the back streets and some of the wooded areas. apart from that did nothing more interesting that laze around on the beach and have a bit of a splash in the sea for a couple of days. I've been to lots of places that I would like to visit again and spend more time, but I think I would actually like to live in Byron Bay. Lots of nice places to get food and some weird little shops, and some great beaches too










On that second day after i took the bike back to the hostel, I went to meet some people on the beach, and I had been there for about half an hour and had just gone for a splash in the sea when from absolutely nowhere the sky filled with totally black clouds, and it started to absolutely chuck it down with rain that even the hostel owner said was like nothing he'd seen there before. It was a 15minute walk back to the hostel and by the time I got there i was drenched, as was our towels and everything else, so we played volleyball in the heated swimming pool during a thunderstorm, as there was no way of drying ourselves anyway.










The next day was absolutely glorious again, so much so that I managed to get myself burned for the first time, which was annoying as I had been being really careful not to let myself become a lobster.



Left Byron Bay on Tuesday evening for the short ride up the coast to a place called Surfers Paradise, which was nothing like as nice. got there on St Patricks day evening so once i checked in there was no time to do anything and the bus was picking up to move on to Brisbane at 5 the following evening. I know it isn't fair to judge a place on less than one day but with a name like that I was expecting a little town full of surfers. Instead it was a big and rather soulless high rise city full of blocks of flats overlooking the beach and a generic shopping area. I only really had time for a quick walk along the shopping streets and then back along the beach, stopping to look at the kite surfers










Left Surfers for Brisbane in the evening again so I didn't do anything last night apart from some laundry, although i did get some good photos of the sunset from the bus

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a not too bad time!! I get more jealous every day. Blue Mountains look spectacular.

    Not doing too much at the moment. Dad is off to Irmeet stag do this weekend so Kate and I are meeting Sue, San and the girls in Nottingham on Saturday night, which will be good. Its a long time since we had a girls night out.

    Speak to you soon,

    Love

    Mum xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete